Daily life tips and tricks to lead a sustainable life
Updated: Sep 7, 2020
Around 70 percent of disasters are now climate-related, worldwide 18,000 people die daily because of air pollution and at least 10 percent of the world’s population is thought to consume food irrigated by waste water. Yet you choose to remain a bystander, yet you invest hundreds of rupees each and every day into the industries that have both this catastrophe upon us, yet you’re still ignorant of your privilege, and yet you still take your “basic rights” for granted. No, we’re not asking for you to be the next Greta Thunberg, instead we ask for very little. We ask for you to be a little more compassionate, a little more sensitive and a little friendlier towards your own planet. And in case you’re wondering how, here’s how-
· Purchase fair-trade products – whenever looking at items imported globally, look for the fair trade certificate. This helps you know whether the products you’re purchasing were producing sustainably or not.
· Rely less on your car- it’s time to bring out your bicycle from the back of your garage. Not only is it beneficial for your health but also a great alternative to fossil fuel consuming vehicles especially for covering short distances.
· Decrease your dependence on plastic bottles – always leave your house with your own water bottle and in case you aim to purchase a drink, carry your own cup with you. It’s not so hard and still proves to bring about a great change!
· Plant seeds- if you want to go that extra mile, this point is for you. Research on how to grow your plants and even vegetables! This will not only help you get access to organic and fresh veggies everyday but also help take the burden off the agriculture industry.
· Eat locally - A powerful way to live more sustainably is to eat locally. The convenience of supermarkets has changed how people think about food. You can stroll through aisles stocked with fruits, vegetables, and other products from all over the world any time of year. But these products consume huge amounts of fossil fuel energy to get from those global locations to your corner supermarket.
Even though most of these tips and tricks may sound repetitive or basic, THEY WORK! We want to help the society realize how little effort one needs to make such a huge difference. As we said, the earth only asks for a little in return for so much more. Play your part, contribute a little. If you try any one of these out, do reach out to us and let us know your experience!